On My Way

www.my-calorie-counter.com     The webs free Calorie Tracker

Sunday, January 18, 2009

My First Entry

Okay, here goes. I have never had an actual blog page before. My sister-in-law has inspired me to start one for accountability of weight loss. I read her blog every time she posts, which is usually several times a week, and I usually always find something to take from it for me. She is honest and open and I see from the comments how many other lives she touches. I'm not sure how this will all work, but thought I would at least create a place to come to for my own accountability. So here I go.......

Let me start by saying I've had issues with my weight all my life. Up and down. Typical yo-yo. Only problem is that in most cases, each return of weight brought back extra with it. I am one of those that have dieted myself fat. But I'm sure I will eventually share more of my past experiences. For now, let me get started with where I am now.

A couple weeks ago I heard an ad on the radio for a local fitness center starting a "biggest loser" contest. I got excited, rallied some friends, and eight of our social circle signed up. The program is for 12 weeks. It involves a once-a-week meeting that includes weigh in, nutrition info, and a workout. At the end of twelve weeks, there will be cash prizes for the biggest losses based on lost body percentage. (So right off the bat, those of us that are the largest have to lose more pounds than those smaller in order to get the same score, which kinda sucks.) But, I told myself I'm not looking for the cash prizes, just the motivation to get myself into gear. So, last Thursday was our first class. It was a lot of fun, great personalities there. We were weighed, measured, and had our "before" pictures taken. We then did a half hour workout. The workout involved some major stretching, mostly thigh and calves and butt. There were two levels, high and low. I did everything to the best of my ability and felt like I was falling somewhere in between. The next day I was sore. However, that evening I discovered I was more than sore! I had gone home from work and fallen asleep on the couch for a bit. When I woke up I stood up and could barely walk! No, I don't just mean I was sore, I mean I could barely walk. I would not have been able to lower myself to sit on the toilet if there had not been a counter to hold on to. When I woke up the next morning, it was just as bad. I spoke with a friend and fellow biggest loser on the phone about it. Asked if she was sore, etc. When I told her how badly I was hurting, she told me it was because she saw me doing the high impact workout, and she had only done the low impact. I was surprised that in watching me she felt I was doing the high impact. I had felt silly and that I probably looked like someone who had no control over moving their body. So it made me feel good that I had looked tougher than I had felt. And the fact that the day after the workout I was at work and therefore sitting at my desk all day with very little movement didn't help. While the others were walking it out during the day, I was very sedentary, which did not help. So I didn't do much of anything yesterday except feel the hurt each time I moved. Sat around watching movies most of the day. However, I will be leaving here shortly to meet up with some of my fellow biggest losers to go for a hike. So far I don't seem to hurt quite as badly today, but my lower back is hurting. I do not want to show up in front of everyone there this morning complaining about hurting. So I know I will push through and do whatever distance everyone else agrees on and cross my fingers that once I get walking I will be okay.

Well, I have to leave this for now to get ready. I will be back to share.

Okay, back. Whew! Was a great hike. We hiked just a little over four miles. It was definitely different than four miles on the treadmill. Wasn't nearly as boring for one thing. And the terrain kept changing. Lots of ups and downs. We started slow for the first mile. We had a few with us that couldn't go a fast pace. But at the one mile marker, they turned around to go back. That left seven of us to continue and we were able to pick up the pace. I enjoyed the fast pace better. Now and then we would have to slow down due to the terrain and I would find myself anxious to pick the pace back up again. It was good!! I started to feel it in my hips some, but more the balls of my feet felt like my shoes had worn too thin. So after we were done I stopped at the store and picked up some inserts for that part of my foot. Hopefully that will take care of it for next time.

After the walk the group was talking of going to breakfast. I was ready to join in, knowing I would be careful in my choice of food (proteins mostly). However, it became decided that one of the couples there wanted everyone to come to their house and they would make pancakes. RED FLAG! Pancakes?? If only! I thought about it for a minute as I would have loved to continue to socialize, but pancakes? No....I knew the temptation would be too strong to watch everyone else eating pancakes, so I declined. Instead, I went to the store and bought some Atkin shakes and the inserts for my shoes for next time. My breakfast? One of those shakes on the way home. I'm proud of me!

Now that food has come into the conversation, I guess I need to talk about my plans. I am basically going with an Atkins approach. I am planning to keep my carbs at or below 10 grams per day for the next two weeks. No breads, pastas, potatoes, etc. Now this was suppose to have started this past Friday. I did good in the morning....an egg, sausage, and cheese omlet. But everytime I tried to get out the door for lunch, someone was coming in and I just didn't make it. (It was payday and I am a payroll tech.....so that happens.) So I came home after work, and had spam slices with cheese (no bread). I was on track. But I was home alone....something that rarely happens, so I had some potato chips later. Bad Lauri! Yesterday wasn't any better. I started the morning out making an omlet, but it just didn't taste right, so I had a few bites and stopped. So later, while watching tv, I made some popcorn. And last night I had one of those individual microwave pizzas.....you know the ones....about 4 or 5 inches in diameter. So not so great with the carb control yesterday. But today is a new day. I hiked and feel good! I am on track as of today, and I know it. Yeah, me!

1 comment:

  1. I'm finally reading your blog. I'm so glad you started it. I'm sure you'll find it as therapeutic as I've found mine to be. Sounds like you're off to a good start. That Biggest Loser class sounds absolutely wonderful. I should look and see if they have one here. What a great concept!

    ReplyDelete