On My Way

www.my-calorie-counter.com     The webs free Calorie Tracker

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Okay, time to catch up and explain. First, I didn't make it to my weigh-in on Thursday. I wasn't feeling well for many reasons, and once I got home I just didn't get back out again to go. But let me back up a bit.

A couple blogs back I talked about getting new shoes and how much I loved them. Well, I didn't talk about them as the week progressed. My first night out with them had been great! I was able to run more than I had before, so was excited about getting out there Monday night. Well, Monday night I went out and had the worst two miles I have had yet. Nothing felt right, I could barely get any running in, and I was feeling some pain. I figured it was because with new shoes my feet were hitting differently and so using the muscles differently and that was what I was feeling. So I mostly walked my two miles and came home very disappointed, but not giving up. Tuesday night I went out and did better, but still had pain. Same thing Wednesday night. Thursday, I mentioned this to someone at work, and they said it sounded like something they had gone through....shin splints. So I looked it up online and it sounded right. Okay.....the Mayo Clinic website said to stop the activity and to do something like swimming or biking. So now I was bummed. I don't need any excuses to not do this, I can find those all too easily on my own. But I felt that I really needed to not do the workout Thursday night. That was the final straw that kept me home. I also wasn't feeling well in general, with sinuses bothering me to include a headache, felt awful because of that time, and just felt worn out. So I stayed home and slept.

Now, Friday is usually my night off from working out, so that gave me a second night off. Saturday is normally our hikes, but our primary hikers have started back on a softball team and there was a Saturday morning practice, so no hike. Okay, so now that has given me three days off. I took my shoes and went back to FeetFleet to explain the problem I am having to see if they felt I needed to try another shoe or inserts. After explaining it all, we decided to give inserts a try. So now I am suppose to wear the shoes around for an hour or so before I start working out in them again. I have to go to work tomorrow, so I will wear them in for awhile. Then I will try to get out for my two miles again tomorrow evening. I have been told that when I get back, I need to stretch my calves, and then ice down my shins, and I should be able to get past this. If things are not better in a few weeks, then I have to go back to try a different type of shoe. I want this to get better. I don't want an excuse to not do this. I don't want to be someone that is told not to run. Granted I don't really do a lot of running right now, but what I have been doing is working, and I want to get better at it, not have to cut back. While losing weight is wonderful, my main focus here is that I want to get healthier and be healthier, especially with my heart. There are so many problems in my family, I don't want to go down that road. This WILL get better, I just know it. I have to be patient while I work through it.

As for the weigh-in, well, I had a doctors appointment on Friday, and while her scale may not match the one used at Biggest Loser, it had me down at least a little. Different time of day, different clothing, different scale, etc. But it's all good. I feel confident that I didn't gain anything. Only one week left of this session. There was an article in today's paper telling about the contest. They used quotes from one of the contestants that has lost 10 pounds. The article said there were some people that had lost 10-20 pounds. Since they used 20 as their top end number, I am hoping my 22.3 (as of last weigh-in) is a forerunner. But, the winner is to be decided by percentage, not total pounds. So we will see.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your legs. I know how you feel. I hurt my hip several weeks back while walking fast and it still bothers me from time to time.

    Good luck with the biggest loser deal.

    ReplyDelete