On My Way

www.my-calorie-counter.com     The webs free Calorie Tracker

Monday, March 16, 2009


Weekend went well. Went to a BBQ/Party Friday night........FOOD EVERYWHERE! I did really good, though. I drank four bottles of water while there, had a hamburger, no bun. I did end up taking a couple bites of cream cheese pie off Steve's plate. Did plenty of dancing to burn it off, though....lol. Saturday morning was our hike. We went to a new area to try some new trails. The map showed the trails, but didn't show the elevations. We headed out on a trail that kept going up and up. I don't just mean an incline, I mean a climb. We kept thinking it was going to crest at the top of what we could see, only to find just before the top it would go around behind it and take us up farther on the next "mountain". A couple times we debated about going back, but decided to move ahead. It was a real workout as it was a real climb. We finally did get as high as it was going to take us. With relief, we knew we then only had down to go. Well, we decided that we liked the "up" better. Going down was quite treacherous at times. I can't believe how steep parts of it were. The side we came up on had a maintained trail, this one was not. There were lots of loose rocks and soil. At one point I lost my footing and went down. Fortunately I fell backwards and landed on my butt. I had a water bottle in one hand, so that hand was okay, but the other hand got messed up somewhat. (And yesterday I could feel it in my ankle.) We blamed it partially on the shoes I had on, as they are a pair of warn out sneakers. (I am headed out to get a pair of true hiking shoes next weekend.) So we continue on, and eventually my friend takes a fall, also. So now comes the embarrassingly honest part. There were three different places on this trail that became so steep that I literally sat down and slid my way a foot or two until I could get better footing. So at moments I was a bit nervous. However, we made it down and felt so good that we had done it. I would love to do that same trail again in reverse. I would rather climb the unmaintained part and go down the better part. By time I got home, I was sore in my shoulders and back from catching myself with my arms. I ended up climbing under a blanket and taking a nap. Yesterday, I didn't do much, but did take my two mile walk. I am including a picture from the hike. This was taken before we got to the top. Those are actually houses you see out there.

1 comment:

  1. WOW! I wish we had mountains to climb around here. It would make the walking so much more fun.

    You sliding on your butt reminds me of the time Tom and I climbed the mountain behind your house in Alaska. I remember I got to the top, but both my legs cramped real bad and I couldn't stand back up so I slid down quite a ways on my coat. I guarentee it was more than a few feet.

    ReplyDelete